We'll be the first ones to admit that waking up early isn't always first thing on our to-do list - no pun intended. For many, the past couple of years have made it very easy to sleep in longer and roll out of bed right before work now that we are no longer getting ready in the morning or making a long commute. Sleeping is one of life's great pleasures, we're not ones to argue that fact.
However, greeting each day by rising with the sun might just be the change you need to seize each day. Many studies have shown that waking up early benefits your overall well-being, and we've highlighted some of those key advantages for you below. If you're not already rising with the sun, you might just change your mind!
Key Waking Up Early Benefits
1. More Light Exposure
Exposure to sunlight is known to have an impact on our moods, and the earlier we are rising, the more sunlight we are get to experience throughout our day. Take advantage of the early hours of sunlight when there are less people out to go for a morning stroll or jog, get a surf in, or check some things off of your to-do list, like stocking up on your SAMBAZON essentials at your local grocery store before it gets busy.
2. More Time to Prioritize Self Care
Giving yourself time before you start your work day to focus on self care is key to feeling refreshed and revitalized during the week. Whether you take time to meditate, enjoy the sunrise, practice yoga, go for a jog, sip on a cup of coffee and enjoy your favorite Açaí bowl recipe, setting aside that time for yourself can contribute to your overall well-being.
3. Improved Overall Quality of Sleep
Getting a solid eight hours of sleep is important to feeling refreshed for all that you want to accomplish in your day. Research has shown that those who wake up earlier set themselves up for improved overall quality sleep when they go to bed earlier that night. Choosing a sleeping pattern of rising early and going to bed sooner can lead to more energy throughout your day.
4. More Time to Make a Healthy Breakfast
Waking up earlier means that you have more time to make a nutritious meal that satisfies your cravings for the next few hours. As they say, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Might we suggest trying a homemade Açaí bowl or smoothie with our Frozen Açaí Superfruit Packs? If you're looking for a quick power-up before your morning yoga class, try our Ready to Eat Frozen Açaí bowls. Or if you're enjoying a toast & eggs breakfast, pair it with one of our delicious Fresh Açaí Juices for a refreshing boost of antioxidants. Explore all our Best Healthy Breakfast Ideas & Recipes here.
5. It Can Help you Concentrate
Rolling out of bed and powering up your laptop may not be conducive to producing your best work. We tend to feel groggy when we first wake up because of sleep inertia. This feeling of sleep-induce brain fog can last between two to four hours, so it's important to get up early so that you're able to feel functional by the time you need to start completing those daily tasks. As you adjust to a new sleeping schedule, you'll likely find that your morning mental clarity has improved.
How to Wake Up Early
You might be looking for some tips on how to start the pattern of waking up earlier. Here are some tried and true ways to incorporate an early alarm clock while still getting enough sleep:
- Start off slowly. Try waking up 20-30 minutes earlier than your usual time. Then gradually cut back another 20-30 minutes until you reach your goal wake-up time.
- Try to go to bed earlier. It's hard to transition from being a night owl to an early bird, but it's very difficult to be both and have enough energy to last the whole day. Reading in bed or meditating can help relax your mind to fall asleep easier.
- Move your alarm clock away from your bedside. Getting out of bed to turn off your alarm will make it much more difficult to hit that snooze button and skip the early wake up call.
- Try SAMBAZON Energy Drinks to give you that morning boost you need. They are a convenient alternative to coffee with organic caffeine sources naturally found in yerba mate, green tea, and guaraná. Feel supercharged first thing in the morning with a caffeine content similar to two shots of espresso.
- Get natural light right away. Open up the curtains and rise with the sun to help your brain wake up.
- Set a goal to accomplish that morning. It will motivate you to get out of bed, feel awake and ready to take on your day.
What are your favorite things to do when you rise with the sun? Let us know in the comments below.
Please note, comments need to be approved before they are published.